[Show all top banners]

True Nepali
Replies to this thread:

More by True Nepali
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Refresh page to view new replies
 J1 visa and TPS- any insights?
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 06-25-15 9:15 AM     [Snapshot: 342]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

As far as I know, J1 visa cannot be changed to H1 visa. The regulation might depend on the nationality of that person but in case of Nepal, what I said is true. You might be able to stay in US in TPS even after your J1 visa expires but you won't be able to work with EAD cause that will be violation of the J1 visa rule. I think same might apply to F2 and H4 visas.

P.S. : This is not an expert legal advice.
Posted on 06-25-15 11:40 AM     [Snapshot: 406]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

@True Nepali, J1 visa CAN be changed to H1 (or GC) if employer is ready to file it. There is no restriction at all. All the J1 need to do is get a two year residency waiver before applying for that. With TPS approved, the person can stay and work in the united states and can make travel documents.
Posted on 06-25-15 12:16 PM     [Snapshot: 464]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Hi Yurika,
How about filing TPS form (I-821 and I-765) but not requesting for an employment authorization (EAD). This approach will make you get TPS at the same time not violating any status for J1-F2-H4 Visa. But I am not sure whether at the end of road, you can apply for EAD any time or should be within the TPS registration period.

Posted on 06-25-15 12:20 PM     [Snapshot: 468]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

Hi Ohio,

You raise a very interesting question. If you find the answer, whether filing TPS-EAD is evergreen or time bound.

Posted on 06-25-15 12:22 PM     [Snapshot: 465]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?    

J1 has different category. 'Research Scholar' has the higher period of stay with the extension upto 5 years. There are other short terms categorioes which range from few months to 1 year.

In terms of getting into the TPS/EAD while in the F1/J1, my understanding is you terminate your F1/J1 to get into TPS, so there may not be violation of the status doing the work thing under TPS.

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 200 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
What stocks to buy -- Any recommendation
🙏 दलाल स्ट्रिट 🙏
Conservative discussions
Moving California with gross annual income under 200k
सालीको चाक
पाप न साप घोप्टो पारि थाप !!
What are your first memories of when Nepal Television Began?
ChatSansar.com Naya Nepal Chat
शक्तिसाली राष्ट्रको ताण्डबि क्रियाकलाप : नेपालको पालो पनि आउने हो कि ?
Kuro ali gahiro cha
The Great Himalayan Cable Car
नव बर्ष २०२२ को मंगलमय शुभकामना / शुस्वास्थ्यको कामना
How to deal with anxiety
ढुककुर बढाउने घरेलु उपाए ...
Misinformation is followed by Blind Followers as if came from Supreme (God)
भाते मुखियाबा
Diwali is here. Rangoli Ideas. Please let us know which one do you like ?
YouTube question ❔
King Mahendra's Alaska Visit
is Rato Bangala school cheating?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters